Hiking Agia Irini Gorge
The small village of Agia Irini is located in a valley along the winding road that leads from Chania to Sougia in southwest Crete.
From the South end of the village of Agia Irini, at an altitude of around 560 m, the gorge of Agia Irini is a deep cut along the western edge of the White Mountains which will take you all the way down to the shores of the Libyan Sea at Sougia.
Distance5-8 km, 7-8 Hours, Guided Tours, Trekking
Activity Level Moderate
Group Size Medium Group
The gorge of Agia Irini is an excellent alternative to the gorge of Samaria:
- it is far less crowded. Instead of hundreds (and at busy times thousands) of hikers per day you will only find a handful (and at busy times maybe a hundred people a day).
- it is much shorter: 7.5 km to the exit of the gorge instead of 16 km for the walk through Samaria
- the amount of descent is only around 500 m instead of 1230 m so it is easier on the knees
- it is open all year around whereas Samaria is only open from May to October
- most of the walk is in the shade so it is also suitable for walking on hot days
And of course it is a wonderful place to come to if you have already visited the gorge of Samaria (and maybe the gorges of Imbros and Aradena) and want to see another one. Like people, every Cretan gorge has its own personality, looks and character so it will be a new experience.
Insurance : All participants must have their own personal travel health/accident insurance before the trip begins.This must include medical expenses ,air rescue and repatriation cost coverage.
Discoveringcrete.gr follows all the safety regulations on the trips and its not responsible for any accidents or unpleasant situations that directly or indirectly are related to the tour.
- Pick up and drop off at the hotel
- Tour with 7-seat Land Rover discovery
- Your own Local Guide
- Traditional Lunch Menu in local tavern
- Municipality Fees
Pick up : 08.30
Trip Duration: 7-8 Hours
Distance to walk: 7 km
Difficulty Level: Moderate
Minimum No.: 2 Persons